Thursday, January 8, 2009

Math Choices

So, for a few months I have had some concerns about our math program. There are things I love about it and things I don't love.

The things that I don't love finally won over and we switched to a new program. Thankfully I will still have all of the cool manipulatives to use!

This week K (age 7) began Singapore Math. It is an adjustment for all of us, but I love the way some of my concerns are being addressed.

We dropped her down a level because things are presented so differently. She had basically finished 2nd grade math in her other program, but I just didn't think it was a comprehensive program. I think dropping back a level will help solidify her skills and help her adjust to the new program.

There is also an Intensive Practice (takes to a more advanced level), so we can work through that to make it harder on the chapters that are a bit easy.

I love this program so far. I am adjusting to the new routine as it takes more time to implement and plan. She is also adjusting to math taking up more of our day. But it is working out little by little.

Ultimately, I love being able to find a math program that is going to work best for my child and our family!

No comments: