Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Classical Conversations Part II

As soon as the thought of tutoring occured to me, I thought why not? Afterall, I had been a teacher. I gave it some thought and decided to call president of our local group for details.

It turned out that I was able to tutor for the fall and she was thrilled. We set up a meeting time to discuss details about the job, the training, and the group. It was a perfect fit for me, and I signed on to teach the K4/K5 class in the fall.

Now the interesting part of this is that I am a former middle school math teacher with an elementary education background. The only elementary grade I felt equipped to "handle" was 5th grade. I just never saw my strengths as including the little ones.

But God knew I'd feel that way and decided BEFORE this moment to prepare me for what was coming. In February, K (age 5)'s Sunday School class was without a teacher when her husband was relocated. They needed someone to take over and to do it immediately. I didn't want her class to be without a teacher, so I signed on. Afterall, it was only the remaining 4.5 months, so I thought I could give the 4 and 5 year olds a try.

Surprisingly, I really liked it. And yes. This was a surprise to me. I was also pretty good at it. Which was a real shocker. After a few weeks, I began to learn what worked and what didn't with their age group. I also got a good handle on their skill levels. We were set. I had a great time with them. Wow. I can teach little ones! Cool stuff!

The really cool part for me was that God was preparing me for what was to come. He knew that the K4/K5 class in this classical group would need a tutor. He knew that He was going to lay on my heart the thought of teaching them. He knew I would not feel confident with this age group, so He took care of that ahead of time.

God is good. All of the time. I love when we get a moment to recognize His hand in our lives in an "ah-ha" kind of way. It is a faith builder and a reminder to me that when we follow His leading, He takes care of all of the details for us.

Can't wait for my training at the end of this month! This next year holds a lot of change for me, but the teacher in my is getting so excited. I am ready to look at curriculum and host a parent orientation! Yippee!

Oh, it feels great to be back in my "niche"!

1 comment:

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

that's really neat - I think you'll enjoy it.